julia....@nspipes.co.uk wrote:
Like Chris, I am concerned at some of the material now being preferred by players. There is a difference between "playing music on the Northumbrian smallpipes" and "Northumbrian piping", and the latter must not get swamped by the former or the tradition will be gone. That said, there is nothing wrong with good music on the Northumbrian smallpipes once in a while, provided it is an informed choice by the individual.

My twopennorth
Julia
I am reminded of a article written by Pat McNulty, the Glasgow based uilleann piper, reflecting on the first 30 years of Na Piobairi Uilleann and the great increase in popularity of uilleann pipes in that time. He concluded a the comment come question "There are far more people with uilleann pipes that there were thirty years ago, but are there any more pipers?"

Ian