Hi All

I understood that the idea behind the first thirty tunes was that it
should be a repertoire which isolated pipers could master in order to
be able to join in 'gatherings' of pipers. This is entirely different
to compiling a book of music which will help someone become a piper.

I have always held the Northumbrian Pipers' Tunebook (NPS1) in high
regard.

First published 1936
2nd (expanded) edition 1970  (This is the first one I encountered)
3rd edition 1998 (Errors in that one are down to me)

I have always felt that this contains a balanced selection of tunes.
The second edition was a very important source book for folk
musicians because the amount of commercially available material at
the time was far more limited. Further, we could assume that most NSP
players have had access to it and would be familiar with its
contents.

After a few years of playing the pipes, I went through the book and
marked in the index those tunes I thought I had 'got to grips with'..
A year or so later, I repeated the exercise and could observe my
progress.  etc.

------------------

NPS1 has its drawbacks:

Page one consists of
Chevy Chase - not a good pipe tune in my opinion
Mallorca - Simple GHB by a late-not-so-great royal
Lea Rigg - Scots / Burns

Page 2

Marquis of Lorne - great tune - intimidating for beginners
Athole Highlanders - Northumbrian?

Page 3
Paddy Whack / General Toast - These occur in the Peacock collection,
are not played much, but I believe are worthy of consideration

etc. etc.

Beginners repertoire

Winster Gallop - Northumbrian(?)
Salmon Tails - A heavily adapted Irish tune
Jimmy Allen  - Now where did that come from (?)

Because the tunes are so familiar, pipers don't record them.
Because they have been around so long, experienced pipers look for
other tunes to play in sessions.

I have thrown my pebble in the pond and await the ripples.

Barry