Tim,

I think the suggestion that someone who wants to master the instrument and play well is doing it as a "technical exercise" instead of enjoying playing music is insulting. I believe that if you're going to play music you first need to get a level of competency on the instrument you play. I certainly agree that there are many styles of playing, and a wide range of musical tastes.

--Rick