I am prompted to write after reading the postings by Ann, Adrian and
Francis.  I thank all three for their honesty and for offering their
considered views in careful and moderate terms.

Much has been written and posted on this list recently, some of which
appears to be based on innuendo and consequent assumptions.  I would
suggest that there is a need to be ask considered questions, rather
than make statements about personal stances.   Here are answers to two
questions that have not yet been asked, but perhaps might have been:

(1) Ann Sessoms' posting is important.  Why should it be taken
seriously?  She is Vice President of the Society and a former office
holder.  Her credibility as a person and a piper is such that, as a VP,
she was asked to chair the 2009 AGM after the problems in 2008.  She
carried out this task with scrupulous adherence to procedure and with
great fairness.  Having attended recent AGMs I can confirm that her
facts are correct.

(2) In relation to recent suggestions that the Society's Rules be
changed to allow a particular decision to be altered, the Secretary
pointed out that there is a due process for this.  Is this process
clear?  It might be helpful to supplement her information with the fact
that at the 2009 AGM a Working Party was established to consider the
Rules at a
fundamental level and then to report and make proposals.  That Working
Party is responsible to AGM, as the body that established it, and
includes active participation by committee members.  So far the Working
Party has meet formally in plenary session twice, and has embarked on
considerable research into current good practice.  Two members have
also had conversation with a consultant from an external organization
that advises on constitutional matters, and the Working Party is
considering mechanisms for wide consultation.  The Working Party has
made an initial outline report of progress to the committee, and to the
Secretary, and is close to producing a first interim report for
members.

I am a member of that Working Party, and I post this (although the
Dartmouth list is not an official organ of communication for the
Society) because the Society has neither an effective system of rapid
communication with members nor an effective way of disseminating
information about decisions, etc, rapidly.  Nor are there efficient
ways of seeking members' views.  This long-standing communication
problem is something that the Working Group are considering.  I
understand the new committee is also tackling the problem of swifter
communication by introducing a new Society website.

Richard

Get paid to recycle old mobile phones - www.tiscali.co.uk/recycle