To whom it may concern,

   Thank you for keeping me entertained so thoroughly when I'm not
   actually making music or otherwise physically involved in it. I am
   wondering at this point, however, just how much some contributors know
   about the tradition and how accurate their informants have been. I am
   not talking about delving into old manuscripts here, but rather the
   living tradition.

   I am fascinated by all aspects of traditional music and related arts in
   Northumbria a literally that region north of the Humber - because all
   aspects, music, song, community dance, ritual dance and, of course,
   piping, have survived to present day in that region; passed on without
   written aids from parents to offspring and neighbour to neighbour. The
   richness of this tradition is inspirational; my work with Jimmy Little
   makes me realise that my 27 years living and playing amongst such
   players was barely enough time to scratch the surface. Tidying up
   recordings of singers such as Jack Beeforth, Nellie Parkin and Mary
   Price (all from the Whitby area and recorded by my first pipes teacher
   David Hillery in the mid 70s) gives further insight into tradition and
   its processes.

   For me talk of "gold standard" in such traditional arts is out of
   place.

   It is a misleading statement in itself quite apart from its application
   to music of the people. Gold does have superficial appeal for some and
   intrinsic value for others. It is certainly the metal of choice for
   most professional microphone diaphragms and in that respect it possibly
   is the standard but it is not the whole story and is not the metal of
   choice for top-end microphones. Bruel and Kaejer turned to nickel for
   the unsurpassed neutral response of their 4006s. Neumann uses gold for
   their popular U87s (a snip at 1700GBP) but turn to titanium for their
   M150 (less of a snip at 3999GBP). Gold standard? Only in the sense that
   it is standard a a good starting place but not the last word by any
   means.

   Tom Clough was appreciated in his day but even his most famous
   protagonist Kennedy North was not totally won over by his playing. In
   1929, having brought Tom down to London to play at a lecture on the
   smallpipes, Kennedy North wrote,

   "I will now ask Mr Tom Clough to play "Chevy Chase". This tune, as you
   know, is a very old one. It is simple and elementary, sits very well on
   the Northumbrian small-pipe, and is often played by Mr James Hall, the
   duke's piper, at Alnwick Castle. I want to say here that Mr. Hall's
   rendering is quite different in time and phrasing from that of Mr
   Clough, and if you would allow me to say so, much more to my likinga|"

   Kennedy North hit the nail on the head. Making it quite clear that
   there were very different, equally valid, nay personally preferable,
   styles of piping in the far north of Northumberland in Tom Clough's
   day.This is not, of course, an argument about style it's a statement
   about preference.

   Neither do I want to argue about style per se. If I was arguing for the
   "trueness" of one style over another I might have come up with Such
   Hardened Importunate Technique in reply to GUTS.

   No, my message is simple a there is room for all opinions in
   this heart-achingly frustrating activity but there should be no room
   for bigotry. Imagination leaps when I hear crisply articulated runs and
   flourishes but, in the words of Mr Kennedy North, "Personally I have
   got to the stage in the study of this subject when the very complicated
   and elaborate variations cloy my palate a littlea|"

   In looking beyond I discover that there is an unbroken tradition which
   uses all techniques available to the instrument and whose protagonists
   have the humility to say this is how we do it but you must make your
   own decisions. For some, titanium and nickel have it over gold. We
   should be celebrating this knowledge and the diversity it engenders.

   As aye

   Anthony