From: Philip Gruar <phi...@gruar.clara.net>
To: Francis Wood <oatenp...@googlemail.com>
CC: Dartmouth NPS <nsp@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 16:53
Subject: [NSP] Re: musette

Hi Francis
The musette seems fairly out of tune. By 5.45 the pitch is rapidly
losing >altitude, finally crashing at 6.30. I didn't listen that far! As I said, all those Hotteterre pieces tend to sound the same, and yes, "hard driven" is just the phrase for it - which is another reason I didn't stick it out all the way to 5.45, let alone 6.30. A more delicate touch on musette and harpsichord, plus a bass viol to balance the bass line and it would have been so much better. I listened to a couple of clips of the Loibner recording and have to say I prefer the Palladians for sheer verve and fun. Loibner and co. sound very refined which although probably what the original players might have aimed for, does lose a lot of the rustic joie-de-vivre. Without that, one might as well have a "straight" baroque rendering of the original Vivaldi - or even a non-straight rendering, as so brilliantly done by Red Priest. Philip To get on or off this list see list information at http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~wbc/lute-admin/index.html