Francis Wood wrote:
Also is pitch purely dependent on tension?
 The danger with such a question is that one might receive a full and
comprehensive answer, which in such cases is usually to be regretted!

This is one case where I think the answer is simpler than one might expect.

Quoting from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vibrating_string

f = (1/2L) * sqrt (T/mu)

L is the length   Double the length and you halve the frequency
T is the tension. You need to raise the tension fourfold to double the frequency mu mass per unit length. Four times the mass (weight) and you half the frequency

SimpleS. If you start talking harmonics and tones it then does get an awful lot more complicated. (Oh my poor head).

If only pipes were so simple

Barry