Hello Anthony,

I hesitate to disagree here since your suggestion is made in a spirit of
generosity.

However, I'm not sure it's best to  suggest using inferior reeds as an aid to
learning. Reeds that function very well carry a great deal of information. Poor
reeds do not.
An expert reed-maker may perhaps be able to take reeds that "aren't really
there" and improve them. A beginner is likely to make them a lot worse without
really understanding why.

There are plenty of resources available for anyone who wants to learn about all
this. Good reeds are obtainable and even though they will differ remarkably
from maker to maker they are all in themselves instructive. Well-written and
clear information is to be found from several sources. There's Colin's
reed-making book and Richard and Anita Evans's web pages:

http://www.evansbagpipes.co.uk/pipes/reedmake/chant.htm

With a good reed in hand as an example, together with any of the available
instructions, and with the advantage of a robust frustration-tolerance
threshold, anyone can make a bunch of reeds.
At the beginning, most will be awful and one or two may be "not really there".
With a lot of luck, there may even be a good one.

This is similar to the 'infinite number of monkeys & infinite supply of
reed-cane' approach though with much better chance of success. I can't see why
it shouldn't work.

Best wishes,

Francis