On 9 Jul 2010, at 13:38, Anthony Robb wrote:

> I have looked at the resources you list but have found that Mike
>   Nelson's methods give by far the best results.

Hello again . . . yes, you're right. I certainly should have included Mike's
pages at:

http://www.machineconcepts.co.uk/smallpipes/reeds.htm#chanter

I agree too that there are so many variables in all of this. Samples of cane
from the same batch and even the same stem can differ greatly, the density and
hardness depending on the height the piece is cut from.

Incidentally I made a surprisingly good reed from a Coke can a month or so ago.
Further attempts demonstrated that even Coke cans vary a lot.

Cheers,
Francis