Great question, John.

I'm sure there are people who get the extra keys because the look cool, but I'd
hope that you'd not get the bigger chanter until you "needed" it.  By that I
mean that you need it to play the music you want to play.

I started out with at 7-key set, and I'm glad I did.  I think you are more
likely to pay closer attention to the basics that way.  But I kept setting
aside music that I'd love to play if only I had more keys.  By the time I was
ready to move to a big chanter I had tunes waiting that called for a lot of
keys!  I ended up getting a 16-key set, but soon wished I'd gone for 17 keys.
(I'm missing the low D#, which everyone told me I didn't need.  Many people
still tell me that, but I know what I want!)  I just recently started working
on a tune that uses the one key I'd never used, so I'm now vindicated in
getting this chanter.  When I got it, though, I had immediate buyer's remorse,
wondering what I'd gotten myself into.

--Rick