     From: Julia Say <julia....@nspipes.co.uk>
     Subject: [NSP] Re: rotting of the cotton threads
     To: "NSP group" <nsp@cs.dartmouth.edu>
     Date: Friday, 14 January, 2011, 17:36

   On 14 Jan 2011, Gibbons, John wrote:
   >  I had noticed the threads decaying, but hadn't twigged why.
   > Wondered if it was just reducing the internal friction that holds the
   fibres
   > together??
   So far all I have done is make the observation. It seems to be worse on
   the thin
   sewing thread (which is mercerised cotton) than on the thicker crochet
   thread -
   also cotton, but presumably differently processed.
   I also occasionally use Vaseline, whatever that is in chemical terms
   (no, I don't
   need to know!!), particularly on drone slides. But that recommendation
   was made
   specifically for ivory.
   Julia