Equal temperament of course has its place as does chromaticism, but I think
except for keyboard-players, who can't (unless they have split-key harpsichords
or such like), even when playing highly chromatic music the best musicians
constantly tweak their tuning to produce the most harmonious result - even in
"atonal" 20th century music.
I haven't got an oscilloscope, nor do I know how to use one, but I think a
scientific analysis would demonstrate that top musicians use more than twelve
different pitches even in "twelve tone" music.

Certainly, music in awkward keys, such as C major, requires violinists etc. to
make comma adjustments all over the place depending on which open string is
most prominent at the time - even in diatonic music.

Too many "evens" ;-)

Equal temperament (= 1/12 comma meantone) is a microtonal system par excellence
(depending on your starting point of course. Mine is just intonation, with 8
pitches to the diatonic octave).