Thanks Philip. I vaguely knew this, but was alluding to the fact that it's
usually a particular female piper who comes in for the most vicious and
unwarranted attacks (she can play as good a staccato as anyone when she
chooses, but has committed the unforgivable sin of being too successful) - and
now poor Alice.
I put "feminam" because I couldn't remember the accusative of "mulier" ;-)

> most
>people these
>days neither know nor care...;-)
>(actually, I suppose, *most* people never did)

Sad but true, though getting your endings wrong in a highly inflected language
like Latin, Finnish or the Slav and Baltic groups can mangle your message
rather more seriously than getting them wrong in, say, German.

>Grumpy Old Man, Educational Standards Going to the Dogs etc. etc.

Idem