What follows is testimonial.

The forum certainly has value in my book.   It was through this forum and the
NPS that I found the encouragement and advice necessary to start playing the
NSP.  In Mississippi, USA no less.  It is also how I found my set which arrived
from Italy.  Talk about globalization!

 I am surrounded by a small but devoted band of Celtic (mostly Irish) trad
musicians and none of us had even really heard of NSP or were familiar were the
musical traditions surrounding the instrument.  We are admittedly pretty
disconnected as we are in the deep south of the US.  But we are a well traveled
group for the most part.  Here Old Time trad, Delta Blues and Irish music are
king but the genetic lineage of early folk here is from the border region of
England/Scotland.  David Hackett Fisher's book "Albion's Seed" provides a nice
discussion of the settlement of the south by border folk.   I grew up playing
old time fiddle band music which was certainly not overtly Irish influenced
until only very recently.  But Irish music has become the international
representative of music from the British Isles (no offense intended).  It is
nice to be exposed to the other even older living traditions.  Since I started
playing NSP through this forum I have discovered a world of tradi!
 tional music that is in fact related to the music I grew up playing.  It is
nice to know that the majority of the old time fiddle tunes I know are actually
rants!

Forums like this one serve societies like the NPS whose mission it is to
preserve traditions through shared discussions and meetings.  It may not be the
exact best place to build a "how to" guide for all things NSP but it is the
best place to discuss and promote the living tradition.  It seems to be
effective doing that.

Promotion might mean promoting other websites maybe.  The NPS forum is not in
competition with other sites from my perspective.  It seems to be helping  to
bring them into existence.  Congratulations then on a job well done!

  Having said that, I do often get frustrated with the huge blocks of emails
that hit my inbox.  I am considering making a devoted gmail account for this
forum alone for that reason.  I think it is worth the effort for everyone's
personal interests even to keep this forum going.  Maybe I don't understand the
real purpose of the list but it is a great place for people to promote other
discussions and events etc.  They just don't need to be hostile about it maybe.

Reid