Hello Matt
   Firstly, many thanks to you and other kind bods for letting me know
   the thing got through and to Wayne for explaining the problem.
   I have to stress it isn't me but rather the etymologists at the OED who
   are suggesting that rant in terms of dance & music has a possible
   derivation from a 16th century dance. This does seem, perhaps, more
   plausible than other possibilities so far on offer.
   What I'm taken with is the idea of the gliding action - I've been to
   dances in Whittingham, Glanton, Low Barton, Bolton,
   Netherton, Wooler.....and haven't seen the old dancers 'stomp' a rant.
   I'm wondering if the gliding courant was akin to that other celebrated
   gliding step the pas de bas (both in triple time). If so, a courrant
   danced to a slow Shields Hornpipe might have evolved  into a rant by
   upping the tempo a tad.
   This would explain how Shield's Hornpipe became known as the Morpeth
   Rant and why the courrant had '... hath twise so much in a straine, as
   the English country daunce'.
   Who knows? I'm merely throwing my thoughts into the pot.
   This is, for me at least, a fascinating topic but one which my
   limited experience/knowledge does not equip me well for researching.
   Undoubtedly there will be unanswerable questions but people like your
   goodself might offer more accurate/likely ideas.
   Cheers
   Anthony
   --- On Tue, 12/7/11, Matt Seattle <theborderpi...@googlemail.com>