Hi Francis - I looked in to this one a while back for some track notes - here's a summary

My understanding is that comment is attributed to Nathaniel and is in the published collection of 1819 (The Beauties of Gow). ( Interestingly the fiddler's companion has words from 1804: http://www.ibiblio.org/fiddlers/FAR_FARE.htm#FAREWELL_TO_WHISKEY_[1])

I searched for and found reference to the 'British Government prohibition' to save the 'wasting of grain' but found only unreferenced stories. Jack Campin has a long article on grain and meal shortages (and riots). This one: http://www.campin.me.uk/Embro/Webrelease/Embro/17riot/17riot.htm gives a 6 fold increase in grain prices: "The most extreme price rises for grain - to six times the previous level - were in the years 1799 and 1800. This led to several attacks on stores and carts, particularly in Leith, the Grassmarket, the Cowgate, the West Port and the Pleasance, and the Volunteers were called out to defend the dealers. This kind of action made them the target of children's rhymes:" But no references .. the riots should be relatively easy to find - or ask Jack for his source, I see his name around and about...

Grain prices are available for that time - e.g. National Archives Doc ref: *152M/C1819/OH142 *(I didn't retrieve it!)
*Contents*:
"Need to encourage agriculture; suggests use of inferior grains in distilleries; greater demand for barley in north of Scotland for production of whiskey; price of grains in 1801 ands 1810 - 'Agricola' to H.A."

This book on the haggis: http://www.avrf23.dsl.pipex.com/The%20Haggis%20TYPESET%2016%20feb-2.pdf
Both references grain prices and crop failures for the period:
" 1790s Harvest Failure, 1799 Price of corn was more than double the level of the 1790s, Harvest Failure"
AND has a substantial reference list ... none of which are on my bookshelf.

Hope this helps

Rob