On 13 Sep 2011, Rob Say wrote:

> This book on the haggis:
> http://www.avrf23.dsl.pipex.com/The%20Haggis%20TYPESET%2016%20feb-2.pdf
> Both references grain prices and crop failures for the period:
> " 1790s Harvest Failure, 1799 Price of corn was more than double the
> level of the 1790s, Harvest Failure"
> AND has a substantial reference list ... none of which are on my bookshelf.

The prices were additionally hiked by the British government requisitioning
foodstuffs for the troops/navies / etc for the various ongoing military
campaigns
at the time.

I can find no reference to whisky in "A History of the Scottish People
1560-1830" -
generally reckoned a standard social history text, if now a bit dated. The only
famine it mentions is the big 1690s one which took out 25% of the Scottish
population (and by extrapolation probably a sizeable chunk of the Northumbrian,
since the area looked north, not south).

Julia