I know.  I can only keep it up for so long.

Just quickly analysing what will be required:

Looking back over the last few seasons, this is actually a really weak
season.  I know it seems obvious, but when the teams at the top are really
good then there are fewer crumbs for the teams at the bottom to pick up.

We've got used to a Big 4 but now there are a lot of really good teams.
Man City and Spurs are picking up a lot more points now than they used to,
as well as the traditional Big 4

My brief, drunk analysis suggests that:

(a) the more points the top teams get the fewer are required to stay up.
Specifically the more points that the top 7 teams get, the fewer are
required to stay up.
(b) there's a simple rule of thumb that says at this stage of the season,
the eventual team that stays up will have 1.5 times the number of points
that the team in 17th now has.  The highest this ratio has been is 1.56:1
That's simple maths but it's borne out by actual results.  Seems that teams
don't get much better or worse over the last third of the season.

That suggests that a team should stay up with 33 points this season.  We
just need to hold our current points ratio and we should be OK.

--
Boo! Curbishley out!