What version of ConTeXt are you using?

texexec says: ConTeXt ver: 2003.1.31 fmt: 2003.10.4 int: english mes: english

I'm using the version included in debian unstable's tetex package.

* formula (sub)numbering needs a good cleanup in ConTeXt (just
like math support in general ...). I need to discuss the thing
with Hans before being able to fix the thing in amsl and/or
nath.

I just started using ConTeXt for writing scientific papers. Before I was aware of the nath module, writing math was tedious. But now, in my opinion, your nath module does the trick pretty well.

Thanks for helping,

David