Hello,

On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 08:52:44AM -0800, Wilfried Van Hirtum wrote:
> I'm a complete ms word user who wants to convert to context to make his mathematical
> textbooks. I have windows xp on my computer, but nothing (really nothing like perl,
> editor's or distribution) else. What exactly have i to do make my pc work with
> context?
First, welcome in the club.

You need a TeX distribution. There are three possible starting points:
a) TeX Live - http://www.tug.org/texlive/
b) fpTeX    - http://www.fptex.org/
c) MikTeX   - http://www.miktex.org/

If you find someone who has a TeX Live CD it is probably the easiest
way. TeX Live is up to date and contains a few editors (if I remember
correctly). Otherwise try either fpTeX or MikTeX. (I personally like
fpTeX more, it is more similar to Unix's teTeX and part of TeX Live,
but it is really a matter of taste.)
Both MikTeX and fpTeX should contain a not-too-old version of ConTeXt.
I don't know whether you need to install PERL as well or whether it is
included with the installer of (a),(b) and/or (c). Otherwise, it is
available from http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePerl/

Having GhostScript (a PostScript viewer) is also nice, it is available
from http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/doc/AFPL/get811.htm
and you should get GSView too.

For an editor, I remember that I used PFE back then 5 (?) years ago.
But there are probably better one available. I found this list, but I
cannot give a recommondation:
  http://home.nexgo.de/itsfd/texwin.htm

> By the way, don't say to me to read the how to install context manual which are not
> meant to read by absolute beginners.
Well, it requires you to have TeX installed, which is already a false
assumption for real beginners ;)

> I would appreciate your advise very much.
I hope some with more recent experience in TeX on Windows will jump in.

Regards,

Tobias