I have very recently launched a new journal which has been designed on the assumption that it will exist in both electronic form and in print—hence, it is produced using ConTeXt and exists natively in PDF files. This morning I was asked by a colleague who is totally blind whether it would be possible to for him have ASCII or .txt files that he could use easily with his screen reading software. (My sense is that he may be able to use PDF files with this software, but that it is not easy.)

So, does anyone on the list have ideas about how to produce such files from the files I currently have in hand or any experience with this sort of problem? Is there, for instance, a way to strip away all the formatting commands from a ConTeXt source file automatically so as to leave an unencoded .txt file that I could send him? I gather that he can use .htm files, but so far as I can tell there is no path from a ConTeXt source file to an HTML file—at least, a specific query about this made recently on this list by someone else seems to have gone unanswered.

Cheers, Alan