Bill McClain wrote:

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 16:50:04 -0400
Alan Bowen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

So, does anyone on the list have ideas about how to produce such files

from the files I currently have in hand or any experience with this sort of problem?

I have used the pdftotext utility, part of the xpdf package, for similar tasks. In the case of hyphenated line endings, the word will be hyphenated and broken across lines just as in the pdf, and that might be a problem for the reader program.

-Bill

From my own experience pdftotext also has trouble handling multicolumn documents. Adobe has an online utility for transforming PDF to html, which can rather easily be turned into text, which worked pretty well for me, breaking columns into something useful instead of mashing all the text together.

Regards,
Erik Hetzner