Hi gang,

For Arabic we use a Latin transcription in Aleph/(e-)Omega (or even ArabTeX) unless one of the encoding filters like utf-8 is used. Even for utf-8 files, however, it would be very useful to be able to convert a utf-8 file to Latin transcription for further processing by Aleph/(e-)Omega. For example, adding diacritics is much easier to do in Latin than in an Arabic script editor because Latin transcription is one-dimensional and adding diacritics to Arabic is a 2-dimen affair.

The best thing would be a perl script but I don't know perl at all (except to run some some precreated scripts). If someone out of the kindness of their heart could write a short and simple script for just seven characters I could do the rest myself and present it back here.

Now all of the Arabic charachters in utf-8 can be represented by extended ascii. I need something like this, that converts every extended ascii representation of Arabic utf-8 into a Latin transcription:

ÃÂ => A

ÃÂ => b

ÃÂ => j

ÃÂ => d

Ãâ => h

ÃË => w

ÃÂ => z

If someone could write a perl script that can accomplish the above conversion, I can manually fill in the rest of the script. Basically I use a modified version of the ArabTeX transcription.

Here is a "gift" in return: a sample utf-8 Arabic file that can be processed by Aleph/(e-)Omega in ConTeXt (you will probably need to dvips this, though some dvi-viewers can do the postscript/16-bit thing):

\hoffset=0pt % for Omega bug: has this been fixed?

\def\ArabicUTF{\ocp\UTFArUni=inutf8 %% in88596
               %\ocp\UTFArUni=in88596
               \ocp\UniCUni=uni2cuni
               \ocp\CUniArab=cuni2oar
               \ocplist\UTFArOCP=
               \addbeforeocplist 1 \UTFArUni
               \addbeforeocplist 1 \UniCUni
               \addbeforeocplist 1 \CUniArab
               \nullocplist
               \pushocplist\UTFArOCP}

\input m-gamma.tex
\input type-omg.tex
\switchtobodyfont[omarb,12pt] %

\textdir TRT%
\pardir TRT%
\ArabicUTF

\starttext

ÃÅ Ãâ ÃÅ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ
ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ Ãâ ÃÂ Ãâ ÃÆ Ãâ Ãâ Ãâ Ãâ ÃË Ãâ ÃÅ

\blank[big]

%Ãâ  ÃÅ  ÃÂ ÃÅ  ÃÂ ÃÂ Ãâ

Ãâ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ
ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ Ãâ ÃÂ Ãâ ÃÆ Ãâ Ãâ Ãâ Ãâ ÃË Ãâ ÃÅ Ãâ ÃÅ ÃÂ
ÃÅ ÃÂ ÃÂ Ãâ Ãâ Ãâ Ãâ Ãâ Ãâ Ãâ ÃË Ãâ ÃÅ Ãâ ÃÅ ÃÂ ÃÅ ÃÅ  ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ
ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ
ÃÂ  ÃÂ Ãâ ÃÂ ÃÆ Ãâ Ãâ Ãâ Ãâ ÃË  Ãâ ÃÅ Ãâ ÃÅ ÃÂ Ãâ Ãâ Ãâ Ãâ Ãâ ÃÂ
ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ

\blank[big]

ÃâÃâ ÃâÃÅ  ÃâàÃâÃÅ  ÃâàÃâàÃâÃâ  ÃâÃâ ÃâÃÂ

ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ Ãâ ÃË ÃÂ

Best
Idris

--