Just a quick reply (it's bedtime over here): there may be 2 problems. 1
is  that the mail program put in an unwanted linebreak after the =~
part, just remove it; it should all be one line. And then: you'll need a
fairly recent version of perl for it to work, what do you get when you
do
perl --version
I guess for utf to work, it should be at least 5.8.0. Your basic idea of
the usage is right (I'm not a windows person, but I  assume it should be
the same): save the scipt as utf2tex.pl, make it executable and call it
as utf2tex.pl FILENAME.txt.

I guess it would be easiest to convert the utf to ascii directly - that
would mean you could later convert it back. I have a set of scripts that
do just that -- convert babel Greek into utf-8 and back.

If you need more help, I'll look into it tomorrow!

Best

Thomas