William D. Neumann wrote:

That is, the other column doesn't flow around the footnote in the other
column, wasting space and looking ugly. I asked at least twice on this
list how to fix this and received no fixes. If you have a fix, I would
be *very* pleased to hear about it...

i uploaded a new beta, which has column footnotes corrected (i had forgotten to adapt the mechanism to the new multiple notes mechanism);

a also added the option to put notes in the first column:

\setupfootnotes[location=firstcolumn|lastcolumn] % columns == lastcolumn