Hi Hans, group,

I saw this passing by in another thread, and since I am myself currently working
on a C port of metapost:

> (and ... i also want to look into extending tex and metapost)

What kind of extensions to metapost do you (or anyone else) have in mind?

Progress update:

Work on the C port of MP is coming along nicely. Work progress is fairly slow
because I have to make change quite a lot of small changes to the code.
I expect to have a 'working' test executable in about 3 or 4 weeks.

libMP will have (at least) the following changes wrt. the Web source code:

- C strings instead of a string pool ( and no pool file).
- A "struct METAPOST" instance that gets moved around, instead of global variables
  (libMP will be thread-safe)
- A namespace for all externally visible procedures and enums (prefix 'mp')
- mp_initialize() and mp_finish() calls to allow clean restarts.
- All file I/O will be configurable (through callbacks)
- PostScript output will be isolated from the other output. (to allow other
  output backends in the future).

--
groeten,

Taco