On Mon, 28 Jun 2004, Hans Hagen wrote:

> When cooking up a new environment, it's best to separate functionality
> and use built in support when possible. For instance, line numbering,
> layout elements, floating listings are kind of independent of such a
> mechanisms.

Yes, for such features the LaTeX built in mechanisms are used (for example
"\addcontentsline{lol}{lstlisting}{...}". Here the LaTeX interface must be
replaced by a ConTeXt interface.

> If some features are missing in the current verbatim environment (one of
> the older parts of context) i can add them if needed. On the other hand,
> it does not hurt to have multiple alternatives.

In general, the users prefer one solid way to go, instead of multiple
choices but each one with missing features.
If you want to rewrite the verbatim environment anyway, perhaps it's the
easiest way to take listings.sty as starting point?

Personally for me, today I'm just looking for two features:
- line breaking as suggested in my email from 19. June (-> \hyphenatedfile)
- support for C and C++

Cheers, Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/