Christmas present ...

\unprotect

\setuplines[\c!space=\v!default]

\def\startlines
  {\@@rgbefore
   \whitespace
  %\page[\v!preference]} gaat mis na koppen, nieuw: later \nobreak
   \begingroup
   \def\@@rgstepyes{\parindent\zeropoint}%
   \def\@@rgstepno {\parindent\zeropoint}%
   \edef\@@rgparindent{\the\parindent}%
   \globallet\@@rglinesteptoggle\!!plusone
   \processaction
     [\@@rgindenting]
     [  \v!yes=>\def\@@rgstepyes{\parindent\@@rgparindent}%
                \def\@@rgstepno {\parindent\@@rgparindent},
        \v!odd=>\def\@@rgstepyes{\parindent\zeropoint    }%
                \def\@@rgstepno {\parindent\@@rgparindent},
       \v!even=>\def\@@rgstepno {\parindent\zeropoint    }%
                \def\@@rgstepyes{\parindent\@@rgparindent}]%
   \typesettinglinestrue
   \setupwhitespace[\v!none]%
   \obeylines
   \let\checkindentation\relax
   \@@rgstepno
   \ignorespaces
   \gdef\afterfirstobeyedline % tzt two pass, net als opsomming
     {\gdef\afterfirstobeyedline
        {\nobreak
         \global\let\afterfirstobeyedline\relax}}%
   \def\obeyedline
     {\par
      \let\checkindentation\relax % else problems with odd/even
      \afterfirstobeyedline
      \ifdim\lastskip>\zeropoint
        \globallet\@@rglinesteptoggle\!!zerocount
      \else
        \doglobal\increment\@@rglinesteptoggle
      \fi
      \ifodd\@@rglinesteptoggle\relax
        \@@rgstepyes
      \else
        \@@rgstepno
      \fi
      \futurelet\next\dobetweenthelines}%
\processaction
  [\@@rgspace]
  [ \v!on=>\obeyspaces
           \def\obeyedspace
             {\mathortext\normalspace{\dontleavehmode{\tt\controlspace}}},
   \v!yes=>\obeyspaces
           \def\obeyedspace
             {\mathortext\normalspace{\dontleavehmode\normalspace}}]%
   \GotoPar}

\protect

\starttext

\startlines
test
  test
    test $a = 10$
\stoplines

\setuplines[space=on]
\startlines
test
  test
    test $a = 10$
\stoplines

\setuplines[space=yes]
\startlines
test
  test
    test $a = 10$
\stoplines

test
  test
    test $a = 10$

\stoptext

======

John Culleton wrote:
On Friday 24 December 2004 09:23, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

Maurice Diamantini wrote:
> Well I agree that it's no more "typing" any more!
> So a special option for \setuplines would be more appropriate?

Exactly, \starttyping does exactly that what you don't want: it disables
math and expansion of TeX commands.

Also, perhaps my request is simply an option of \startlines
which keep not only the lines break, but also the first
spaces of each line (in a verbatim font fors these space)

In plain TeX you have a command \obeyspaces (apart from \obeylines). Nevertheless, whitespaces at the beginning of line are ignored when using \obeyspaces, so you additionally need to write an escaped whitespace '\ ' or \strut at the beginning of line (I guess there's a more efficient solution for that, but I'm no expert).

But if you really only need whitespace at the beginning of line,
probably make something like:
    \def\tab{\strut\hbox to 3em{}} % or any other size instead 3em
instead of using \obeyspaces and simply put \tab where you need a
certain amount of white space.

Mojca

Using eplain.tex you can say: \verbatim

|endverbatim
(note bar instead of backslash.)

If you need a vertical bar in the verbatim text then just double it.

Anything in between including blank spaces and lines is printed verbatim.
Context used to complain about one non-critical statement in the eplain file. Actually it complains about the following statement but you can easily spot the troublemaker. Delete it and eplain works fine with Context. Latest versions of eplain may already have the fix, haven't tested them.