Stefan Wachter wrote:

I want to generate PDF documents that use the standard PDF fonts (Helvetica, Times-Roman, and Courier) and not to embed these fonts. With my former installation (TexLive-2003 and a ConText distribution of last autumn) this was possible by using the following lines in the praeambel:

\usetypescript[adobekb][texnansi]
\usetypescript[postscript][texnansi]
\setupbodyfont[postscript,ss,13pt]

(In addition, I had to configure pdfTeX by "updmap --setoption pdftexDownloadBase14 false").

After I upgraded to TexLive-2004 this does no longer work!

I found that the typescript "adobekb" was replaced by "type-akb". Yet, the encoding "texnansi" seems no longer to be available (Metafont complains that it can not find: texnansi-utmr8a). Changing the encoding to "ec" that still is available yields:

texnansi tfm files are not distributed (actually, what gets distributed is some mix of encodings) so you need to generate them using texfont

\usetypescript[type-akb][ec]
\usetypescript[postscript][ec]
\setupbodyfont[postscript,ss,13pt]

Yet, using these lines in the praeambel results in a document that uses the NimbusSanL-Regu font, that clearly has to be embedded.

you can make a private map file, say myfonts.map, and load that one with

  \loadmapfile[myfonts.map]

lines with as first char an '=' will replace other map entries, so that way you can overrule defaults

Does anyone know how the standard PDF fonts can be used while not being embedded?