Ciro A. Soto wrote:
I just discover the existance of texsync by browsing
the manuals.
I tried to update the manuals and it worked fine in a
$HOME/tmp directory.

I am kind of skeptical in updating the whole context
installation because I don't know the proper
destination option.

I installed tex using texlive2004, and it created a
directory /usr/local/texlive2004/  in my Fedora3
linux.

I wonder if the following command would do
the job wihout harm:
texsync --full --update --force
--destination=/usr/local/texlive2004

locate the local tree

  kpsewhich --expand-var=$TEXMFLOCAL

and sycn (or unzip) the files to that location

btw, if you rsync the whole tree, you will get a minimal context tree, i.e. a subset of texlive, and that can best be installed outside the texlive tree