>   Also, what does "mktexlsr" refer to

I don't know how it really works, so I can only explain this in
layman's terms.  If you look in your texmf directory, you should see a
ls-R file.  If you have a texmf-local tree, there should be one there
too.  These ls-R files make up a database that are used to locate
various files in a TeX system.  After you make changes, like updating
and rebuilding formats, or copying texexec.rme to texexec.ini, you
need to update the databases before TeX becomes aware of the changes.
This is what mktexlsr does.  On some systems, the command might be
"texhash".

Matthew