My cont-sys.rme is in

/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/context/user/cont-sys.rme

and has the two lines you mention (I attach the file below, it looks kind of old (1995).

Also, if I add

\loadmapfile[ec-base.map]

nothing changes ---

I tried to locate ec-base.map, but couldn't find it. Is this a regular file somewhere in the TeX tree?

Matthias