Hi Mathias,

your example runs smoothly here, using:
        pdfeTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.20a-2.2
        ConTeXt  ver: 2005.01.26  fmt: 2005.1.26

1. Which version of ContTeXt do you run? A new version requires the map-files to be placed in ...\fonts\map.

2. Niew versions of pdftex do nomore use a pdftex.cfg file. So the mapfiles must be loaded explicitely with \loadmapfile[...] or must be lodaed automatically - see also cont-usr.tex

Kind regards

Willi

Matthias Weber wrote:
Hello,

I am not desperate to use new fonts right now, but whenever I see
somebody with a success I'll give it a try.

Here is what happens to me when
trying to use palatino (or any of the other fonts) with the sample file
(Mac OS X, most recent gwTeX)

%% testing-fonts.tex
\usetypescript [adobekb][\defaultencoding]
\setupbodyfont[pos]
\usetypescript[palatino][\defaultencoding]
\setupbodyfont[palatino,12pt]

%% for times uncomment this
%\usetypescript[times][\defaultencoding]
%\setupbodyfont[times,12pt]

\starttext
\input knuth
\bigskip

And this is some maths with PostScript fonts.
\startformula
{a \over b} = {c \over d} \iff ad - bc = 0, \qquad \int_0^{2\pi} \sin(x)^2dx =\pi, \qquad {\rm e}^{{\rm i}\pi} + 1 = 0.
\stopformula

\stoptext

It gives me the plain text in the right font, but as a bitmap font, which reminds me of the bad old times
when one looked at TeX output without the Adobe Type Manager in OS 7-9...

I get the warning (which I wouldn't be able to fix)

Warning: pdfetex (file ec-urw-palatino.map): cannot open font map file
{/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/map/pdftex/context/original- youngryu-
px.map}]

The math part uses the computer modern fonts as usual.

Any clues what I'm missing?

Matthias