<ntg-context@ntg.nl> =====
>Rob Ermers said this at Sun, 3 Apr 2005 16:03:24 +0200:
>
>>I completely agree. Context works fine but, like you, I have not
>>succeeded in installing any new font thusfar.
>
>Okay, I get the message: there are quite a few frustrated would-be font
>users out there. I see it as being something that someone can understand
>(and explain) fairly well in the abstract, but the details throw up
>distribution-specific problems.

Not only that, Adam, but the configuration issues involve so much minutae that
it is very easy to make simple mistakes that cause, e.g, typescripts to fail.
As Ciro suggested, what what would be useful is a gui that completely
automates the process and that asks all relevant questions and generates
everything ConTeXt needs to install and run Latin fonts, including expert
fonts like Minion.**** (Maybe oneday the gui can be extended for Chinese,
Arabic, etc.)

On the other hand, I did manage to get a virtual font created by fontinst (old
style numeral cmr) to work in ConTeXt without using any of the
ConTeXt-specific utilities. I wrote the typescript entirely from scratch, with
optical scaling and all; if that complicated set of typefaces could work, any
Latin font should work. But debugging this sort of thing may take time, which
can be frustrating.

****Qt4.0 will be gpl, I'd love to see e.g., an elegant crossplatform Qt/Ruby
application that does this:-)

Best