Stuart Jansen wrote:
Below is a simple example of chapter/section titles containing
characters that need to be escaped. Although the page content turns out
correctly, the PDF bookmarks contain the literal escape string instead
or the desired character. Any ideas how avoid this? I guess this is a
bug report.

======

\setupinteraction[state=start]
\placebookmarks[chapter,section]
\starttext
\chapter{test{\char`_}chapter}
The underscore character needs to be escaped in certain situations.
\chapter{start{\char124}stop}
So does the pipe symbol.
\chapter{foo}
\section{bar}
How can I avoid literals escape strings in bookmarks?
\stoptext

there some sanitizing mechanism, but i'm not sure if you wan that here; Why do you use the hard coded \char's? If you use the named access mechanisms they are normally handled ok in bookmarks