On Sat, 27 Nov 2021, Hans Hagen wrote:

> On 11/27/2021 6:40 PM, Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context wrote:

> > > with a recent version of ConTeXt, I now get a straight apostrophe. Is
> > > there a
> > > new option to convert automatically straight into curly apostrophes ?

> > > The option is no longer part of the default feature set.
> >
> > Personally, I think that that is a bit extreme. An apostrophe is a really
> > common construct and I suspect that this change in default will mean that
> > almost everyone needs to add tlig in their documents. We may perhaps need a
> > 'sensible-defaults' module :-)
> we entered the unicode world and left ascii space so for instance the ugly
> enter `` '' and expect english double quotes is also a not-done now, nor are
> !` and ?` for the spacing rotated ! and ?; i can't find the font right now but
> there were with interesting space-something ligatures that only didn't show up
> because tex has no space.

I am okay with removing all these vestiges of TeX. But, I still think that the
following should work okay:

    Let's try blah blah ...

I could have entered it as

    Let’s try blah blah ..

but it is not that natural to me.

> now, there are more tex traditions that context doesn't support; take this
> plain definition (there are many) dedicated to math users:

I am not opposed to remove 8bit TeX hacks. I was simply objecting for removing
the apostrophe mapping. For example, you used it in the sentence above (in
“don't”)!

> Anyway, it's easier to enabel a feature that to disable one when side effects
> of font handling kicks in happen.

I agree. Maybe I'll just add a imap in vim to map ' to ’ and forget about it....

Aditya