Hi Alex,

I don’t know the status of Asymptote. I am using TikZ and pgfplots for 3D, with
satisfactory results (example below). However, it is slow, so use the buffer
mechanism to prevent redrawing with every run.

TIkZ/pgfplots is the best short term solution for diagrams I need right now. I
am concerned that TikZ will eventually not work with ConTeXt, so for a long
term solution I am trying to make diagrams with Metapost, using Lua to do the
heavy computational work. This is not easy, but the diagrams are super fast,
and I think they will always work.

Hope that helps.

Gavin