Thanks for all your help. Using Magick had no effect so I've had another look
at my setup. It turned out I had this in m

\setupexternalfigures
  [maxwidth=\textwidth,
  maxheight=0.8\textheight.
  location={local,global},
]

The period to end maxheight is obviously a mistake. (However, I'm still
perplexed that this only shows up when the image is rotated...)

Sorry for the noise.

Denis