Here's the formal rule:

https://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/coords.html#TransformAttribute

rotate(<rotate-angle> [<cx> <cy>]), which specifies a rotation by
<rotate-angle> degrees about a given point. If optional parameters <cx> and
<cy> are not supplied, the rotation is about the origin of the current user
coordinate system. The operation corresponds to the matrix [cos(a) sin(a)
-sin(a) cos(a) 0 0]. If optional parameters <cx> and <cy> are supplied, the
rotation is about the point (cx, cy). The operation represents the
equivalent of the following specification: translate(<cx>, <cy>)
rotate(<rotate-angle>) translate(-<cx>, -<cy>).

It looks like cx/cy, if not present, mean to rotate the text about its
origin, which I would take to be width/2 and height/2. They define the
rotation matrix as [cos(a) sin(a) -sin(a) cos(a) 0 0], where a is the angle:

https://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/coords.html#RotationDefined

It appears as though LMTX is rotating around the baseline, rather than the
central point of the text's bounding box. (I thought that (cap height +
descender height) / 2 was the middle, but I suppose that wouldn't account
for diacritics.)

Thanks for looking into this!