From my perspective, a few optimizations for system installation need to happen
for ConTeXt.

contextcnf.lua needs to support system installation paths.

Arch Linux texlive-core packages has its own patched version of texmfcnf.lua
that sets TEXMFSYSVAR=/var/lib/texmf, TEXMFOS=/usr/share,
TEXMFDIST=/usr/share/texmf-dist, and TEXMFSYSCONFIG=/etc/texmf.

TexLive's own version of texmfcnf.lua is not suitable for system-wide
installation.

contexcnf.lua assumes all paths are relative to /path/to/extracted-archive
which is definitely not a system-wide installation.

A system-wide installation is installed to absolute paths.

On top of that, there needs to be a document called INSTALLATION or BUILD that
offers a simplified version of build/installation instructions contained in
install.sh, mtx-install.lua, and mtxrun.lua. It seems mtxrun can be used to
build and install ConTeXt without internet access as long as all dependencies
are already present.

If ConTeXt is optimized for system-wide installation by modifying
contextcnf.lua and adding INSTALL or BUILD, then all POSIX-like operating
systems will be able to easily make packages for ConTeXt. Not just Gentoo Linux.

Can anyone help me with optimizing ConTeXt for system-wide installation?