On 7/5/2023 3:18 PM, Carlos wrote:
\showmakeup on \TeX\ shows a

tSP:3.282
THK:-1.721
H__E
HK:-1.291
SP:3.282

no MWE includes so clueless

 > I assume that SP stands for space. Correct me if I'm wrong

After reading some of the manuals that mention \showmakeup with and
without [spaces] and so forth, I couldn't find any more info related
to this.

If anyone can provide me more information as to what does HK means there?

horizontal kern

Anyhow

If I were to have, say, a control _word_ such as \TeX\, the sequence of
TeX kerning is thrown off. The only remedy would be to have a a \qquad
preceding the control sequence e.g., {\qquad
\TeX\ significantly} to sort of ameliorate this side-effect. But then
again. Spacing is off. e.g.,

no MWE so a space cam come from anywhwere

The separation of any of these four components would have
hurt {\qquad\TeX\ significantly}. If I had not participated fully in

x{\showmakeup[glue]x\qquad x}x

imo \qquad is okay

But it's interesting that \showmakeup, kerning and spaces would
display what's to be expected. And yet, the aformentioned set of

tSP:3.282
THK:-1.721
H__E
HK:-1.291
SP:3.282

is accurate nevertheless. And a very nice implementation at that,
but one I fear can't be included on a final document either.

With that being said, the introduction of a \qquad, in addition to
\showmakeup with, say, redundancy aside, whatever is preceding the \TeX\
alongside the file would also introduce a space where no space was ever
there before.

Because of all of this, and unfortunately, \showmakeup is not quite helpful
here either. Although it does so displays the amount of spaces and
so forth, any addition of a \qquad also adds a very subtle unwanted
space.

qquad is not that subtle: 2em

And since we're looking here, I pressume, solely for accuracy and
perfection, we're left here with neither: zero, zip. It evaporates.
puzzled

> Dear Emily:
>    I'm still confused as to what groups articles should be posted
> to.  How about an example?
>            -- Still Confused
>
> Dear Still:

can we omit these confusing additions in mails to the list? looks / sounds like a 'bot' to me