Nikolai Weibull wrote:

I've followed the instructions listed at
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/TeTeX_3.0_installation, but it won't quite
give.  The problem is that I use the Gentoo installation setup as a base
and have the latest ConTeXt installed in /usr/local/share.  Does anyone
know what options to pass to pdftex's configure-script to match the
setup on a Gentoo system (where stuff is stored in /etc/texmf and
/var/lib/texmf)?
well, since it's the gentoo people who use a structure different from tds, it's up to them to provide support for that; btw, this var/lib/texmf path looks unfamiliar to me (i wonder what libs tex ships with/provides -)

the problem is that there are so many texmf paths nowadays (not texmf-xxx under one root, but multiple texmf (main) paths in different locations that the change for clashes is pretty big)