I clearly have some misunderstanding about the typesetting of the euro sign.

In an attempt to implement the MathTimes font and expert fontset, I came across a problem with typesetting the euro.

I could not redefine the \texteuro. In \showcharacters it stays empty.
Doing \definecharacter texteuro to_some_value in a typescript does not work (giving: Runaway argument?)

The euro does appear when I define it explicitely (as coming from the marvosym font):
    \def\euro{\symbol[europe][EUR]}
But then \texteuro is still unaffected and therefore doing "\enableregime[mac] € (euro)" does not work.

Any pointer how to solve this?

yours sincerely,
dr. H. van der Meer