On Dec 6, 2005, at 3:15 AM, Hans Hagen wrote:

Jason Knight wrote:

get into the guts at the time.

This threaed gets me thinking: how far away from "proper" is the tipa
package under LaTeX? How much work is a "proper" implementation likely
to be?

this is something you and steve peter (also a linguist) can tell us

I'm actually not certain what's being asked. By being a "proper" package under LaTeX, do you mean that the package conforms to all norms for LaTeX package programming?

Or do you mean that the interface is "proper"? I don't know that that can really be judged. But since TIPA has become the de-facto standard, most linguists who use TeX have learned its interface. So I would aim to recreate that in ConTeXt, modulo the usual changes (\startIPA, etc.)

Or did I miss the point?

Steve