OK, what the man said, plus:

* not only different encodings, but also easy way of reencoding files;
* fonts and colors are easily customizable (maybe different schemes
for syntax highlighting);
* line numbers in the margin;
* large chunks of text can be commented out easily;
* I would love the powerful regex search/replace of vim and emacs
with a somehwat simpler
   (GUI-driven?) interface;
* easy support for different utf planes;
* customizable support for ConTeXt environments, commands, etc.,
ConTeXt can be called from
   within the editor with a simple shortcut.

What I find useless:

- I want an editor, not a pseudo operating system, so I don't need a
shell within the editor;
- I don't use spellchecking (too error-prone).

Thomas (who still can't make up his mind whether he likes emacs +
auctex or gvim better)