On 5/24/06, Neal Lester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> At 12:49 AM 5/24/2006, you wrote:
>

> >Neal Lester wrote:
> > > I am trying to verify my installation.
> > >
> > > When I try to run texexec against the test file given in the
> > > installation instructions I don't get a dvi or pdf file.  The output is:
> >
> >What instructions did you follow, precisely? I see some problems in
> >your output, but it will be easier to explain using those instructions.
>
> I followed the instructions at:
>
> http://www.pragma-ade.nl/general/manuals/minstall.pdf
>
> First I used the TeX that came with my Linux distribution (RedHat
> Enterprise Linux v4) but that didn't work (perhaps it was too
> old).  Then I installed teTeX ( http://www.tug.org/tetex/ ) which
> came with an old version of context that got in the way.  I removed
> that old version and installed the version from here (
> http://www.pragma-ade.nl/context/current/cont-tmf.zip ).

The cont-tmf.zip archive doesn't (directly) update programs
(texmfstart, texexec, etc.)
Tetex's texexec is a script that runs perl on the result of 'kpsewhich
-format=texmfscripts texexec.pl'.  You need to make sure kpsewhich
finds the new texexec.pl.  You can also try the version I posted
recently that looks for the ruby scripts.

I like to keep context in a separate tree, texmf-cont, so it is easy
to see what files comes from cont-tmf in logs, etc.

> Thomas Esser has (apparently just) announced that he will no longer
> be maintaining teTeX.  Which version of TeX do you recommend I install?

Hans mentioned the minimal context linux distribution.

Red Hat will have to make a decision about TeX.  In the interim, you
may have to do a bit of extra work to stay current.  The nice thing
about teTeX and TeX Live is that they have been designed so they can
be self-contained, with texmf trees and binaries under one top-level
directory so you can add and remove them without the need for a
package manager to keep things sorted.

--
George N. White III <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia