> ConTeXt  ver: 2005.01.31  fmt: 2006.6.27  int: english  mes: english
>
> language        : language en is active
> <protectionstate 0>
> system          : cont-new loaded
> (/home/ralf/texmf/tex/context/base/cont-new.tex
> ! Undefined control sequence.
> l.14 \newcontextversion
>                         {2006.07.24 10:49}
> ?
> ! Emergency stop.
> l.14 \newcontextversion
>                         {2006.07.24 10:49}
> No pages of output.
> Transcript written on t.log.
> TeXExec | runtime: 1.705616
>
> Any Ideas?

It looks like an old version of context is being used that doesn't
understand the \newcontextversion command.  And the line

  ConTeXt  ver: 2005.01.31  fmt: 2006.6.27  int: english  mes: english

confirms the suspicion, because the ver: date is old and doesn't match
the fmt: date.  So somehow your old formats (.fmt files) are still
being found by the searching.  The Debian installation notes on the
wiki has information on how to find and delete the old ones and fix up
the config files.  See the "Steps to finish a first context upgrade"
section at <http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Debian_installation> and let
me know if that fixes it.

The Linux installation notes are overall a mess, partly made by me, so
I'll try to clean them up once I understand the various interactions.

-Sanjoy

`Never underestimate the evil of which men of power are capable.'
         --Bertrand Russell, _War Crimes in Vietnam_, chapter 1.