On Tue, 7 Nov 2006, Jeff Smith wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Some time ago I had a query on the list about roman numbering in
> headers. Once I got my answer, I asked something else relatively
> unrelated but in the same thread. It's probably bad etiquette, so I
> figure that is why it has remained unheeded. I'd like to submit my
> second query again.
>
> I have a problem with the separator in header numbers. I want to
> use a different separator between chapter and section numbers (-), than
> between
> section and subsection numbers (.).
>
> So, assuming I'm using roman numerals for chapters, I'd like numering
> of sections to be I-1, I-2, I-3, etc., of subsections to be I-1.1,
> I-1.2, I-2.1, I-2.2, I-2.3, etc.
>
> Is there a way to achieve what I want to do?

Yes, as long as you do not want to refer to your sections :) The
separator seems to be broken while refering anyways.

\setupsection[section-2][bodypartconversion=Romannumerals]

\setuphead
    [subsection]
    [numbercommand=\mysubsectionnumber]

\setuphead[section][separator=-]

\unprotect

\def\mysubsectionnumber#1%
   {\@@shortsectionnumber{section-2}-%
    \@@shortsectionnumber{section-3}.%
    \@@shortsectionnumber{section-4}}

\protect

\starttext

\chapter{Test}

\section[sec]{section test}

\subsection[sub]{test}

The separator is not honored in \in Section[sec] and in \in
subsection[sub].