> > > The best way out would be if I could enable ConTeXt's UTF-8 regime while
> > > running XeTeX in \XeTeXinputencoding=bytes mode, but I haven't gotten
> > > that to work yet.

That would mean that you loose the whole range of glyphs & scripts
outside of the scope which ConTeXt supports (you would land almost at
the level of pdfTeX again). For most european users that might still
be something reasonable, but I wouldn't go that way.

> > maybe mojca has

(little correction to what I wrote in my previous mail)

If you were really looking for that part of code - simply replace
\expandafter \endinput inside XETEX block in regi-utf.tex with
\XeTeXinputencoding=bytes. Then \enableregime[utf-8] will mean that
ConTeXt took control over utf instead of XeTeX. From what I understood
on the wiki, it probably used to be that way at the beginning, but
then Hans changed his mind and decided to ignore \enableregime[utf]
completely when processing with XeTeX.

Mojca