Thanks very much for your suggestion, Taco!

I'm afraid it doesn't seem to work quite as expected, however :-
( Could you have a look below?

>> Hi,
>>
>> I've been wondering whether someone (perhaps Taco?) can give me a
>> hint on the following:
>>
>> 1. Is there an automated way to place citations into footnotes? So
>> whenever I use \cite in the running text it should produce a footnote
>> with the reference alongside the usual footnotes. However, when \cite
>> is invoked within a footnote it should just type out the reference
>> inline (in the footnote, of course ;-). So far I've done this
>> manually with \footnote{\cite{key}} (which at times produced its own
>> strange results like two footnote blocks on the same page).
>
> There is no other way. If you strangeness as a result from this,
> then it is a bug in the footnote handling that is (should be)
> unrelated to the bibliography module.

Ok. As for the strange things happening I was able to hunt them down
and prepare a simple example (still with the standard \startquotation):

---

\usemodule [bib]

\startpublication[k=akey,t=book,a={{Ody}},y=2006]
\author{Some}{B.}{Ody}
\pubyear{2006}
\stoppublication

\starttext

\input tufte
\footnote{\cite[akey]}

\startquotation
\input tufte
\footnote{\cite[akey]}
\stopquotation

\startquotation
\input tufte
\stopquotation
\footnote{\cite[akey]}

\input ward

\startquotation
\input tufte
\stopquotation
\footnote{\cite[akey]}

\input ward
\footnote{\cite[akey]}

\stoptext

---

Please note what happens to the footnotes depending on whether the
\cite command is before or after \stopquotation. Also when the narrow
text block extends over a page boundary the ordering of the footnotes
is mixed up ...

>> 2. When typesetting a quotation block I'd like to add a reference
>> directly after the closing quotation marks. However, including the
>> \cite command before \stopquotation places the reference before the
>> closing marks, and moving \cite out of the \start \stop block makes
>> the reference appear on a new line ...
>
> The next solution is a bit rude, but works:
>
>    % First define an internal version of quotations. It will
>    % typeset the contents of the macro \MyMagic at the end,
>    % just after the symbol.
>    %
>    \definedelimitedtext
>      [myquotation]
>      [left={\symbol[leftquotation]},
>       right={\symbol[rightquotation]\MyMagic},
>       leftmargin=standard]
>
>    % And this is simply a wrapper for ease of use
>    %
>    \long\def\startcitedquotation[#1]#2\stopcitedquotation
>      {\bgroup
>       \def\MyMagic{~\cite[#1]}
>       \startmyquotation #2\stopmyquotation
>       \egroup}
>
>    % usage:
>
>    \starttext
>
>    \startcitedquotation[schmitz2006]
>    overly beautiful pusillanimous sesquipedalian longwinded
>    \stopcitedquotation
>
>    \stoptext

I tried that one but ran into several problems unfortunately. If
\cite inserts anything but a tiny string these words won't be wrapped
properly onto a new line. Also if I replace \cite[#1] by \footnote
{\cite[#1]} then there will be no footnote at all :-(

Oliver